Race Rules And Forms
Rules For Morgan Mile Road Race
1. Must be a member of The Vermont Morgan Horse Association. (Due to insurance regulations.)
2. Horses must be Registered Morgan Horses.
3. There will be races in harness as well as under saddle.
4. The race will be eighty Rods long. (quarter Mile)
5. The two horses under saddle with the fastest overall time will race in the Saddle Championship Race and
the two horses in harness with the fastest overall time will race in the Harness Championship Race.
6. The leading horse must stay in their lane side of the road in order to allow enough room for the second
horse to pass. This is for safety reasons so that a horse will not be run into a ditch trying to pass. Any horse
found "hogging" the middle of the road by a spotter will be disqualified.
7. Any competitor who is in the left, or passing lane must "call" out to the leader so that they are aware of an
on coming horse.
8. Any horse that "breaks" a trot must be brought back to a trot as soon as possible. Horses that break a trot for
an unreasonable length of distance or any horse that goes off the road will be disqualified.
9. The races will be in heats of two for harness and up to four under saddle. The horse with the fastest time wins
10. Helmets are required.
11. Race steward reserves the right to reject entry for safety reasons.
Morgan Mile Race Application